Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Vomiting day before yesterday (4 times) them stools got

Customer Question

Vomiting day before yesterday (4 times) them stools got softer and runnier had a day of no vomiting and was eating again and then he's just puked twice again...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of, but he's only just started going outside (he's 13 weeks) but he's fully inoculated and is up to dat on flea and wormer
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jax
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?
Customer: He had a similar problem at about 7 weeks (I've had him since he turned 6 weeks due to an irresponsible and selfish litter owner
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The most common cause of this vomiting/ diarrhea is going to be a parasitic infestation or an infection in the gut. The most common parasites are worms, coccidia and giardia. There are many viral and bacterial causes as well. We typically do a fecal exam to rule out parasites. If it's negative, then we can treat with antibiotics, anti-nausea meds and fluids to help rehydrate. If the fecal is positive, we treat specifically.

I would get a sample of the stool and bring it to the vet to run. They can then determine the cause and treat appropriately. Most resolve over a day or two.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is drinking loads so I know he isn't dehydrated. I know that most cases resolve by itself when it comes to vomiting and such but he's had it before, he was weaned onto adult good not kitten food by the litter owner and he was absolutely fine until the day before yesterday and he just went really lethargic and slept all day and didn't play (he loves to run around like a looney tune so it's very odd for him to be quiet) and the day before yesterday it was just vomit then yesterday his stool started to get runny and then today obviously he puked again and still has the runny poo. When he had it first time around he had fluids and antibiotics and obviously got better but yet it's appeared again 6 weeks later and what if it keeps happening?!! It's not fair on him!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

That increased drinking is good as long as he keeps it down. That's the body's way of dealing with dehydration- increasing the thirst drive.

You could try some at home therapy. I usually have owners give a liquid antacid like Mylanta or Maalox- 1/4 teaspoon every 8-12 hours. You can also add a teaspoon or two of canned pumpkin or sweet potato baby food to his diet to help firm up the stool with the extra fiber.

I would worry mainly about Coccidia or Giardia with those signs. these are common parasites that can re-infect kittens. We just have to treat them as they happen.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm in England so do you mean something like gaviscon?? I'd prefer to give him something just to ease it tonight as he's been through a lot already and if I can ease it, if only slightly until I can get to the vets then I'd rather do that!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Yup Gaviscon is similar to Mylanta or Maalox. You can give 1/4 teaspoon 2-3 times daily.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok GREAT!! Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've got little syringes still from his wormer suspension so I worked out the equivalent in ml and have given exactly that amount and he's had it all very slowly in the back corner of his mouth (he's very good when it comes to things being given orally through syringe)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hopefully he'll feel a little better soon!! Thanks again!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Good deal, the dewormer will be nice.
Take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How would I know or estimate? if he's got a temperature without a thermometer? Would the inside of his ears be hot to the touch?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry, I was out of town the last few days. I hope everything is back to normal now.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Was a false alarm on the temperature, I didn't know he'd been asleep in a pile of cushions for a couple hours before coming back to me, and been giving him 1ml instead of 1.4ml of Gaviscon every other couple of days which seems to be helping a lot! So like I'll give him 1ml every 3-4 days just so that it doesn't escalate and vet seems ok with that too
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

That sounds like a plan. I'm glad it seems to be helping and he's getting back to normal.