Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

One of our cats recently started coughing, and was becoming

Customer Question

Hello!, one of our cats recently started coughing, and was becoming lethargic. We took her into the vet and so far they've said that they suspect a collapsed lung. So I was trying to get more info while we wait for the vets to finish checking her out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I think she's 9 or 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: They're our cats regular vet so i think know all her quirks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you are most likely dealing with asthma. This is the most common cause of coughing in cats. Asthma in cats is similar to asthma in people. They can breathe in, but the airways spasm as they try to exhale. This leads to wheezing and coughing. When it gets bad enough, we can have the right middle lung lobe collapse down. This is the smallest lung lobe, so that's why it's the one that we typically see collapsed.

There is no specific therapy for a collapsed lobe. We let it re-inflate on it's own. In some cats, it does not re-inflate. The other lung lobes will actually get larger to make up for the loss of that right middle lobe. While we can have some respiratory distress as it happens, it usually resolves fairly nicely over a day or two.

Here is some nice info on general asthma treatment to read over. I prefer starting with oral steroids and then weaning onto all inhaled meds if I can.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?