Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a litter of kittens that I plan on finding homes for.

Customer Question

I have a litter of kittens that I plan on finding homes for. The mother was a stray and abandoned them last week at 6 weeks. I want to do what's best for kitties, because I've fallen in love with all of them and have spent a lot time socializing them. Do you know of any de-worming medicines for multiple cats. I can purchase the 3 in 1 FVRCP at the Farmer's Exchange for $6.00.
Thank you for your help,
Pat Garner
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand your wanting to keep all of the kittens you've raised; it's hard not to fall in love with them all, isn't it?? But, it sounds as if you're going to do what's best for them which is to find them homes where they will be loved just as much!

I typically worm kittens with Pyrantal Paomate (aka Strongid, Evict, Nemex) which is available at most pet and grain stores. This is a very, very safe wormer which will take care of round worms...the most common internal parasites seen in kittens.

The dosage amount will be indicated on the label based on the body weight of the kitten. I worm every 2 weeks for 3 doses so you may want to send the new owners home with wormer to finish out this schedule.

I hope this helps and best of luck with placing them. Deb