Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Our 7 year old female has a PPDH with a liver node in the

Customer Question

Our 7 year old female has a PPDH with a liver node in the cardiac sac. At first it was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. The Cardiologist diagnosed the PPDH. They expect she has had it from birth and is now just showing symptoms. The only symptom is a cough that occurs anywhere from 0-4 times daily and lasts 10-15 seconds. Otherwise, she acts normal, has a great appetite, and you would not think that anything is wrong with her. Our vet recommends surgery at a local animal hospital. We met the surgeon and she is well qualified.
I understand you can't diagnose over the internet. We have looked at various studies and mortality rates. There is significant risk. Apparently, there is no way to determine whether she will get worse over time.
Our big decision is whether to nothing and have her as live as long as possible. Or, have the surgery and take the chance she may never make it home.
The cardiologist believes her heart is strong.
I guess we are looking for any and all opinions. Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. Do you think there is anything we have overlooked? Is there any further questions we should ask the surgeon?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi Matt. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bobbi. The PPDH situations with cats are typically congenital and they are diagnosed a lot latter in life. There is always some risk with any anesthetic procedure and surgery. That can't be overlooked. I have owners at my ER that don't grasp this and they are the ones that are shocked when that extremely rare situation arises with a complication. The good news is that it sounds like she would have her surgery at a facility where they have a very qualified anesthetic team and surgical team. They are going to be monitoring her during the procedure and use all the bells and whistles to make the procedure as safe as possible. If nothing was done surgically? Would it get worse? If her coughing at this time is due to that liver lobe being trapped in the pericardial sac, then the chances are definitely there. I would feel that the risk of not doing the surgery would be higher than those of doing the surgery. Going into the surgery, you are making the decision to give her the best chance for a long and healthy life. I tell owners would they feel worse if she deteriorated later and had complications than going into surgery now and having a problem arise.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dr. Bruce,Thanks you for your response. It does emphasize that we are making the right decision having the surgery, no matter the outcome.Matt

I'm glad to help Matt! I hope all goes well with the surgery tomorrow!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bobbi. How is everything going?