Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I've just been looking on the effect of fragrance and/or

Customer Question

Hi, I've just been looking for information on the effect of fragrance and/or reed diffusers on cats. I got rid of the one I had for a couple of weeks when I noticed that my cat started drooling and not grooming herself and I'm wondering what kind of treatment would be necessary
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is Cincina (cheen-cheena) and she's about 16.5. She's otherwise healthy and hasn't had any other issues.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cincina?
Customer: Nope, she's healthy otherwise
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

While cats are sensitive to essential oils, breathing in the air of a scented room should not bother them. Getting directly exposed to the concentrated oils would be a different story, though. However, it is important to remember cats have much more sensitive olfactory systems than we do, and how do we know when an ambient dose that's effective also becomes unpleasant or even painful for them?

The symptoms you describe of no longer grooming and drooling may have to do with a new diffuser/fragrance if she was exposed to a high concentration of this or in the room at all times that has this, but I would also be very concerned something else is going on such as a lesions/problem in her mouth such as a tooth problem, ulceration, tumor, etc. If her symptoms do not abate now that you have unplugged the diffuser within 48 hours, then I highly recommend you have her examined by her veterinarian.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.