Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii

Cat suddenly wobbly, unsteady, and flops over. Just wants to

Customer Question

Cat suddenly wobbly, unsteady, and flops over. Just wants to lie down. 13 years old. Check up and shots last week were fine. Takes prednisone for asthma x 10 years, otherwise healthy. Doesn't want to eat, or anything. Took water this afternoon. Not sure if there is anything I can do before morning....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you. I see that Quesadilla is having some problems. I need to ask you some questions.

How long ago did this behavior begin (days/hours)?

Sudden or gradual onset?

Indoor, outdoor, or both?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
6 hours....sudden....indoor/limited outdoor
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
6hours, sudden, indoor/limited outdoor

Now please look at her eyes and tell me if her pupils are the same size. Any jerking or one eye back and forth?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pupils equal, no jerking. Cat just appears to feel very unwell....wants to stay still. Not hot nor cold to the touch.

Was she still eating yesterday?

Bowel movements?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
bowels seemed normal yesterday.

Do you have an emergency clinic available?

I'm worried about a central nervous system problem or ingestion of something toxic such as pesticides, poisons.

Do you have a dog with a new flea collar and does Quesadilla spend time with it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was worried about those things too. The question is what could be done about a CNS event, and what could be done re to the flea collar. I hate to subject her to the ER work up.

That depends on the examination. She could have brain trauma, benign tumor or brain, neck injury with nerve damage, neck or back injury with swelling causing symptoms.

The only thing that is urgent is if she was exposed to a toxin.

You can watch her very closely. If symptoms get worse I recommend taking Quesadilla to an emergency clinic.

If she doesn't get worse take her to your vet tomorrow

I hope that this helped. We can continue this dialog as long as you have more questions.

If you feel that there are no more questions please be so kind as to rate this service.

Many toxins require supportive therapy which means IV fluids to lessen liver or kidney damage , activated charcoal where appropriate and appropriate drugs, drugs to reduce brain swelling or muscle damage.

I'm afraid that we cannot do a neurological exam over the phone.

And yet another possibility is a middle ear problem which has affected her balance.

Hello, how is Quesadilla today? I hope that you did not have to take her to an emergency clinic and that you were able to see you vet.

Please let me know her condition today. And I wish that she has a speedy recovery.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Took KC to emergency vet. She was in O2 overnight and had a calcium injection for low Ca ++. Transferred to our own vet in am with a guarded prognosis, still unable to stand. Vet recommended blood work to diagnosis and treat based on that. Cat very uncomfortable in our opinion and really couldn't stand for her to have suffering continue especially since our vet would have likely had to transfer her to the emergency setting for overnight. We had her euthanized as we just couldn't face such a happy addition to our family suffering and having to undergo many tests and treatments for what might have been the same outcome.

Oh, what a heartbreak for you. I understand your decision, as hard as it was. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.

Dr Marta

Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Quesadilla. How is everything going?

Dr Marta Lepes