Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She's 20 years old, indoor only cat. She isn't limping, but

Customer Question

She's 20 years old, indoor only cat. She isn't limping, but this morning I noticed her left rear leg, hunches to paw were twice the size of the right one. She let me touch it, so it can't be terribly painful. She has renal disease and is very thin, but eats well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that we know of. She used to jump off high things like the kitchen counter, but now she jumps down from about chair height only.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Marie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marie?
Customer: Her teeth are bad, but our vet said at her age it wasn't worth the risk of sedation. We have an appointment with the vet on Tuesday, but wondered if there is anything we could do in the meantime to help her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 4 months ago.

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Marie.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to earn your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• You said Marie is eating well even with renal disease. Is she eating okay today?
  • Is she on any medications?
  • Are you able to take her temperature?
  • Can you take a picture of the affected leg and upload it for me to see?