Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My cat was fine yesterday this morning real still just goes

Customer Question

My cat was fine yesterday this morning real still just goes in circles off balance will not eat or drink
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: 2 yrs
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: She's late on her 2 me rabbies shot
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bella. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I see she is walking in circles and is off balance. Does she tilt her head at all? If you look closely at her eyes, are they twitching from side to side?

If you look at her gums, are they pink in color, or pale?

She may have "vestibular syndrome", a sudden loss of balance. This can be caused by an ear infection, an injury, but often it just happens and we do not know the cause. If she has a head tilt or nystagmus (rhythmic back and forth twitching of the eyes) it probably is vestibular syndrome.

If it is from an ear infection, she may need antibiotics. If it is "idiopathic" (we don't know or can't find the cause) it will probably get better with time.

Let me know about her eyes, and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her eyes are fine she just looks tired gums are fine.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

If she is walking in circles, it still could be an ear infection.

Does she go outside? Could she have been injured?

Are her pupils the same size?

If she won't eat or drink, she could become dehydrated. If I could, I would look in each ear ( you need to look at the ear drum and you can't see the ear drums without an otoscope), take her temperature (normal is 101 to 102), check her reflexes, listen to her heart (she is young, but if she has a heart murmur she might have had a blood clot causing her symptoms), feel her pulses, etc. to determine what is wrong and what the best treatment is. If she has anything in her ears, or a fever, I would start her on antibiotics.

If all seems normal, I might try some prednisolone to reduce inflammation, and see if that helps her symptoms.

If she seems dizzy, you could try giving her 1/8th to 1/4th of a meclizine (over the counter; one brand name is Dramamine) to see if that helps. It can cause drowsiness.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

How is Bella doing? I have not heard back from you. I hope you were able to see my response!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?