Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

She was just "attacked" by my 2 dogs. I didn't see what

Customer Question

She was just "attacked" by my 2 dogs. I didn't see what happens exactly, as soon as I heard the noise, I ran into the other room and pulled the dogs off of her. She went down to the basement (dogs are now crated) and she is just laying there, breathing heavily, and kind of drooling. I tried looking her over and holding her but she just hisses at me scratches at me. :(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** we call her Floofy. I'm not sure how old she is. Someone dropped her off on my porch in a box about 10 months ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cali?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm just worried about the breathing and the hissing. She normally would let me hold her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like Floofy has experienced quite a traumatic event and needs to be attended by a veterinarian to examine for injuries as well as be given pain medication and something for anxiety. She is probably scared and may be severely injured and this is causing her to be on the offensive. Its not personal, she still loves you but pain and fear will make even the tamest animal aggressive. The best and safest way that I can think of to handle her would be to grab and pick her up with a thick blanket or towel. This will protect your arms from her claws and teeth. You can put this on her and cover her completely then scoop her up before she knows what is going on. Once she is scooped up, you can put her in a large box or a carrier (if you can manage it safely) and take her in to you closest emergency vet.

Alternatively, you can continue to monitor her but if the breathing does not improve in 30-45 min, or if it worsens she should be taken to an emergency vet immediately. The concern with dog attacks is that they tend to pick up smaller animals and shake them subjecting them to internal injuries or they can cause crushing injuries by grabbing a smaller animal between their jaws. If you do not know where the closest emergency veterinarian is, I can help you find one if you tell me where you are located.