Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a nine yr old cat that doesn't get along with a 12

Customer Question

we have a nine yr old cat that doesn't get along with a 12 week old kitten we have just got is there anything we can do it's been a week now pls
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello Graeme,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I look fed to your reply

No problem Graeme, just typing out your answer now.

The answer in this sort of situation is a bit long and involved so it will take me another ten minutes or so to complete it ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Graeme,

I am very much a cat person myself, this can sometimes be a difficult problem to address but with patience it can often be eventually resolved. This is something I have been asked about many times in the past by clients at my clinic. My advice to them was usually along the following lines :

1. Get a wire cat basket big enough to comfortably hold your adult cat plus a litter tray and a bowl for food and water. You then place the cage in an area where the cats would normally wander in the house and you put the adult cat and the kitten in the cage on alternate days so there is always one cat in the cage. In this way your adult cat will get used to the sight and smell of the new kitten without them getting at each other, also the new cat smells get through an area of the house where they normally wander. This will give them an impression of a shared territory which is the object of the exercise.

2. After a week of this you then try and feed the cats in the same room each day with the bowls far apart. You will have to be there to supervise and be ready to control them. If this works start gradually bringing the food bowls back together.

3. After that try having the cats together in one room while you are there to supervise perhaps in the evening when you are watching TV and so gradually reduce the time each cat is in the cage until they start getting on. Having said that there will always be the odd scrap that's normal because kittens are so playful and will annoy your adult cat given the chance.

The above sounds quite complicated and labour intensive I know but I can assure you I have had good results with this method quite a few times in the past.

4. One more thing which can really help is Feliway which you can use in conjunction with the above plan, again this has been known to work well amongst my clients in precisely the situation you find yourself in. Here is a link to this product : LINK

Hopefully I have given you a few ideas, also I should be available online for you the next couple of hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in after our recent dialogue concerning your cats to see if you have all the information you need or if you would like to talk things over further ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.