Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a three year old wild rescue cat. She keeps ding

Customer Question

I have a three year old wild rescue cat. She keeps hiding under beds and I have to pull her out. I lost her for two days. When I found her she looks like she's lost weight
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is inside only and has not been fixed. All my other,cats,are,fixed. She is usually shy by has never hidden for days
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has this cat ever been checked for feline leukemia or feline aids?

2) Any obvious injury?
3) Is she in heat?
4) Has she had any recent blood work run?
5) Is she eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No to all she is eating drinking I don't know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm wondering about a UTI

A UTI is very possible. However, we usually don't see weightloss with UTI's so much as we do with other medical concerns. Because she not been spayed, we can't rule out the risk of an infected uterus either.

If she continues to hide, I would certainly take her to your vets office and have them perform blood work and a urinalysis to see what may be wrong. There are so many things that a cat can come across when outside including other cats and other animals, both of which can make them sick.

I couldn't determine from your answer if she's actually eating well, but if not the risk of liver concerns rise drastically. You can try foods like chicken and rice baby food, turkey baby food, etc. to stimulate her appetite.

If you suspect a UTI, keep an eye out for urination in the cat box. We want to be on the lookout for any blood, mucous or other abnormalities.