Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii

Our cat came in from outside several days ago and had motor

Customer Question

our cat came in from outside several days ago and had motor oil on her back and around her mouth. we assume that she probably ingested oil while cleaning it off of her back. we took her to the vet because she would not eat or drink and they did a chem 10 test and said that it indicated her liver and kidneys were way outside normal. they suggested we put her down and said she prob had another day or two. they gave her water under the skin for her to absorb. we are almost 36 hours later. she still wont eat or drink but is still alive. she urinated this morning and we have forced a very small amount of food and liquid into her mouth tonight and just dont know what to do. we are very much in need of a second opinion PLEASE
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: snowy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowy?
Customer: i think that about covers it
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you.

Ingesting petrolium products is indeed very toxic.

I hope that you washed her with detergent to get that oil off (like they do for birds in an oil spill.

This is what I recommend for snowy. Get a bag of lactated ringers from your vet and have them show you how to give it under the skin. Give 25cc three times a day.

She is a CAT.

l wouldn't give up yet. Remember she has nine lives!

By keeping her hydrated there is less stress on both the liver and kidney.

You can still try giving her food and water like you have been.

She is going to pee a lot with the fluids, so if she cannot get to the litter pan put towels under her and keep her dry and clean.

Now I'm not saying that this will guarantee her survival. But at least it gives her a chance.

I've seen cats survive incredible odds.

Please ask me questions if you need to. I'm here for you and Snowy.

I'll check tomorrow if I can. I live in Hawaii and we have a tropical storm bearing down on us. and we often lose electricity and internet.

If you have no more questions now would you kindly rate my service.

Best to you and Snowy.

How is Snowy doing?

Did you manage to get some of the Lactated Ringers?

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Dr Marta

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Marta Lepes