Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

A nineteen year old diabetic cat since age 3. Today shows

Customer Question

A nineteen year old diabetic cat since age 3. Today shows weakness in back legs. Falls over.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I know of. She had been showing a splayed foot walk for a few days
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Topaz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Topaz?
Customer: Twice daily insulin injections. Blood levels 250 to 300. Is eating and drinking
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Topaz weakness. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When you say she has a splayed foot, are one or both of her feet sticking out to the side? Could you post a picture?

I see her diabetes is well controlled. When did she last have blood tests? Diabetic cats can develop low potassium, and that can weaken the hind legs. It might be a good idea to have her potassium level checked.

A blood clot or stroke could also be a reason for weak back legs.

If I could, I would listen to her heart, feel her pulses, and probably do some basic blood tests unless that was done recently. Check her gums, are they a normal bright pink color?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

How is Topaz? I have not heard back from you; I hope you saw my response. Can I answer any more of your questions?