Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I took my nearly 8 year old cat to the vet last Friday where

Customer Question

Hi. I took my nearly 8 year old cat to the vet last Friday where they diagnosed him with diabetes. After a 2 hour visit where they checked his urine (which determined he was diabetic) and glucose level (349), I left with insulin and syringes and new food with the expectation of starting this the following morning. Keep in mind this cat (plus I have another) is used to having access to food 24x7 not to mention treats, which I am guessing played a huge role with him developing diabetes, but I could be wrong. Needless to say, I have not given him shots yet as I am terrified (never given a shot in my life). This week I worked on cutting both of them off of treats cold turkey plus adjusting to the 12 hour feedings. Diabetic cat is obviously eating more then my other, but the 2 of them combined are not eating 1/2 of what the diabetic cat should be eating. Done of a lot of internet research this week & have read a cat's glucose level can rise from 200-300 just from being at the vet (which he is terrified). And take into account he had ingested treats several times that day. I've also read too much insulin can cause multiple issues including death. With him only eating barely enough to keep a bird alive, is it safe for me to inject him with the 3 units 2X a day as instructed? I feel like I should get a second opinion since his diet has drastically changed but am I just being over optimistic? He's visibly skinnier which is why I took him to the vet (lost 3 pounds since December) and the excessive water drinking...and I mean EXCESSIVE. But he's not doing the excessive water drinking since I started him on the new prescription food. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you for your time.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Dealing with diabetes in cats can be very difficult, especially getting them regulated. As far as diet goes, it is most important to have them on the right diet than when you feed them. If not eating well, I would probably go back to the snack feeding but only putting a certain amount down for the day and not refilling it until the next day. Cats are more snack feeders than meal feeders anyway. A cat can have a high glucose from being a stressed at the vet's office, but the clinical signs and glucose in the urine is usually indicative of diabetes. You can always have your vet run a serum fructosamine, which is more of an average glucose reading over the past 2 weeks to see if he is truly diabetic. Some cats may be able to get off of insulin if they are on the right diet as well. That is called diabetic remission. If not eating well, though, you definitely do not want to give a full dose of insulin. I usually tell my clients that if they are only eating half the ration, give only half the insulin dose. Eating 1/4 ration, give 1/4 insulin. If not eating, do not give insulin because that can cause life threatening hypoglycemia. If a diabetic is not eating, though, it is usually an indication that they need to get to the vet because there may be some serious complications. I hope that answers your questions. If not, please let me know.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Collin. How is everything going?

Dr. John