Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Our 9 yr. Old hair, indoor, outdooor cat started sneezing

Customer Question

Our 9 yr. Old long hair, indoor, outdooor cat started sneezing alot
5 nights ago and then started to try to vomit unsuccessfully for 5 days. Appears to eat drink and use litter box. Will eat mice and chipmunk. What should we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you think he is nauseous or was he coughing to the point of retching/gagging?

Any nasal or eye discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We only mentioned the sneezing (one night) because it was unusual but he does not have runny eyes and gums are fine. Our concern is the retching that sounds a lot like asma (sp) and he can't seem to get his breath and can't dislodge whatever is causing it. Although (2 days after we asked for help) he seems to be back almost to normal. So the question now is: if he had something he couldn't throw up would it pass through his system or get lodged somewhere in his body?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

I am glad to hear that those retching signs have passed. Considering that they have, asthma is less likely and he may have had something caught or inflammation in the throat after eating something irritating (ie fur, bones, etc). Now in regards ***** ***** current question, if there was something there that has now shifted, it would pass into the stomach and then out the other end. There is always a risk of blockage if it was bone, but if it was something that could move through the throat, we'd hope that after being softened with stomach acid it'd pass through the intestines without issue.

With this in mind, our focus on this stage will be his belly comfort and ability to pass stool. Any issues with those and we may need him seen to check for blockages. Otherwise, we can try adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin, 0.25 tsp Metamucil) to canned food to help bulk up stools and push anything through. As well, cat hairball paste can be given daily as it is a gentle gut lubricant and will help move things through the gut. And if we do that and see no issue in the next 48 hours, we'd be less worried about blockages and just want to make sure his throat signs settle completely.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please do rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dugan. How is everything going?

Dr. B.