CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.

My cat has a red bump on s chin and hasn't been eating s dry

Customer Question

My cat has a red bump on his chin and hasn't been eating his dry food. He'll only eat wet/soft food. He also seems to be breathing heavier whlie resting and has a very watery left eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Benjamin. He's 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benjamin?
Customer: it looks like he might be having a little trouble swallowing his food when he does eat, but I'm not sure
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a picture of the bump on his chin
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your questions

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

Thank you for the pic - it is very helpful.

I just have a few questions to start.

How long has Benjamin had that little red bump? What kind of food/water bowls do you use - plastic, ceramic, glass, stainless steel?

How long has he been breathing more heavily and how long has he had the watery eye?

Is he eating normally?

I see he's not eating his dry, sorry about that.

Has he been sneezing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He' not sneezing. He's had the bump for about a week and the watery eyes for 2 days
I just noticed the heavy breathing this evening.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has a ceramic food dish and a stainless steel water dish
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he's been laying around on cool surfaces lately, as well

I suspect the two problems are not related.

The most likely cause of the bump on his chin is acne. Cats can get chin acne in association with plastic food/water dishes because the plastic harbors bacteria. We can also see it in cats eating canned food that don't wash their faces adequately. I would make sure you wash the food bowl in hot soapy water after every use. You can gently wipe the chin with a cotton ball and some witch hazel, and then apply some benzoyl peroxide acne gel (available OTC at pharmacies) - just a thin coat. You can also use warm compresses to help the bump come to a head - it's just like human acne and can have a nasty core/pus inside.

We sometimes see severe cases that require veterinary attention, where we have to sedate and express the material out of multiple blackheads and whiteheads, but you should not attempt this at home.

How is the weather where you are? Is it really hot?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is hot out. But we have air conditioning
Here's a clearer photo of the bump

The watery eye, more visible breathing, laying on cool surfaces, and not wanting to eat the dry could all be due to him having an upper respiratory virus - they are extremely common in cats. Since most are caused by the feline herpesvirus, they can be a recurring problem for some cats.

Since these kitties can develop quite a fever and get dehydrated, it's never a bad idea to get them looked at by your vet. I tell my clients to bring them in if their appetite is decreased or if they are lethargic.

The most common treatment for viral URIs in the cat is not antibiotics (unless we suspect a secondary bacterial infection). I like to put them on a lysine supplement (it's an amino acid) which interferes with herpesvirus replication so it slows it down, though it does not cure it (there is no cure).

Let me find you some links for further reading.

Here is the lysine supplement we use at my hospital.

You can sometimes find it OTC at larger pet stores. I usually recommend 1 scoop twice a day, mixed into a small amount of canned food (and watch to make sure they consume it all).

With any eye involvement it's especially important to treat, because it can progress eventually to severe eye disease.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

I will be heading home soon and my computer there has been balky but I will try to check in later this evening. Otherwise I will be back around in the AM if you need more help.