Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years providing medical care for pet cats
64354720

My male 2 year old dog is fixed! he had a thick discharge

Customer Question

hi ! my male 2 year old dog is fixed ! he had a thick brown discharge from his penis a week ago and now he doesn't walk anymore because the tip of his penis is red and the sheath also awaken and red he wants to kick his penis. I have taken him to the vet after the brown discharge and he saw that the tip of there is is red he have us anti bioethics for 10 days but I am worried that it's getting worse . he has only had it for 3 days ... he doesn't urinate more than before and he can control it .. there isn't a foul smell and I am just wondering could it be something else ? and also should the vet examine the discharge or his urine in laboratory or he can give us the antibiotics without that?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Gregg and I will try to help you with Sugars problem today

If I understand what you have said, Sugar had a brown discharge from his prepuce and the end of his penis is red. You had your Vet look at him and were giving him antibiotics for 3 days but he is not getting better and is scratching at his penis with his foot. When you said he doesn't walk anymore did you mean he is uncomfortable because of his problem or he cannot walk at all? It sounds like Sugar could have a couple thing possibly causing his discomfort. I will list them for you. The first thing that comes to mind, from your description, is an infected prepuce (sheath). This is called "balanitis". This is not an unusual problem in male dogs and will usually respond to treatment with a topically applied ointment that has an antibiotic with an anti yeast and cortisone (your Vet will have this in his clinic).Oral medicine can help but this type of problem needs topical treatment. The second possible cause of Sugars problem could be that there is actually some type of a tumor involving the prepuce or penis. This is something your Vet will need to see Sugar to check for. This could cause the discomfort you are seeing. A third possible cause of Sugars problem could be infection in the bladder, as well. To check for that your Vet can take a urine sample from Sugar and run some tests in his clinic, or send it to a laboratory for analysis. No matter what the cause of he problem, it sounds like Sugar needs some medication to relieve his discomfort until the problem is identified and cured.

It's important to prevent Sugar from digging at or licking at the area as that will make things worse. He may need a collar. Proper pain medication will go a long way to help prevent that, also. I think the best thing you can do is call your Vet and tell them what is going on and ask hem to look Sugar over, get a urine sample to look for infection and possibly even test the brown discharge for infection or evidence of a possible tumor. Ask them for pain medicine for sugar so he is not uncomfortable.

Without being able to see and examine Sugar, I thank that is about all I can tell you, but I am happy to answer any further questions you may have. If you don't have more questions I would appreciate it if you would click accept and rate me for the website. I hope I was helpful to you and I wish you good luck with Sugar. Dr. Gregg

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks
yes he is very uncomfortable walking so he keeps sitting or lying down
when the vet saw him a fee days back his sheath was ok only tip of his penis was red
now his sheath is swollen a lot and I think around his penis I mean the tummy around the penis seems to be swollen too ..,
do u think I should take him back to the doc? or continue the antibiotic he gave me for a few more days and see what happens? I have him 4 days now it's one pill a day and I have 6 more ...
he is not friendly with vets touching him so it's so stressful for me to take him there but I can if you think it's necessary... I love him so much if u think it's necessary I will take him.

Thanks for he pictures. The end of his penis does not look too bad so hopefully the problem is not a tumor. Sometimes a dog can have a problem with the penis not retracting back into the sheath properly and causing discomfort. This is called Priapisim or Paraphimosis. This can lead to infection of the penis and sheath. Here is a website you can go to and read more about this. WWW.veterinarypartner.com. Just type in the terms in the sites search window. It actually is a very good site for all kinds of information about your dog and possible problems

If the skin on his belly, around the prepuce is red and angry, I would, again, recommend a topical medication (Panalog/Animax/Entederm are 3 different ones). You may also need to put him on an oral antibiotic combined with an oral steroid along with the topical ointment to get this under control. Try calling your Vet and talking this over with them. Perhaps they will sent you the medication without seeing Sugar again if he is hard to deal with at the clinic. It won't hurt to ask

If I have answered all your questions please accept and rate me for the website so they know I was helpful to you. If you have further questions I am glad to answer them. Good luck with Sugar. I hope everything works out for you two. Dr. Miller

Oops...Dr. Gregg

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi can I put nystatin creme on his sheath? does that work for anti fungal yeast?

If it is due to yeast only, it could help. If it is due to bacteria it won't, but I hope it helps

Hi, it's Dr. Gregg from Just Answer. I was just wondering how sugar is doing.