Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have an indoor/outdoor cat that we feared gone (it has

Customer Question

we have an indoor/outdoor cat that we feared gone for good (it has been missing for 2 weeks) but just came back with a BAD limp.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: That is entirely possible, I just have had time to get him into a room with a door and look at him minimally. He started eating and drinking right away, but I wanted to come online to see what I could do to stabilize him for a bit before the vet opens.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tim
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tim?
Customer: He is not using his leg, but does not hesitate to jump up on things, or shy away from being touched.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a video of this limp?
2) Any swelling that you can see?
3) Is he holding it up or dragging it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can try to video.
There does not appear to be a lot of swelling, but it looks broken to me.
He is holding the paw up it is his back paw.

A video would help greatly.

Does it appear to have suffered a crushing injury? Is there bleeding?

I'll be standing by.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no bleeding, but I have no idea how long it has been like this. I will be taking him in, there is no question it is broken now that I have gotten to check him thoroughly, I found the swelling around his ummm... ankle?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Having trouble uploading...

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. Alternately, you can use a website like tinypic.com for picture and video. youtube.com works well for uploading larger videos that other websites won’t accept.

Swelling does not automatically mean that it's broken; there may still be hope. We VERY commonly see that cats develop 'cat bite abscesses' and this is most common in outdoor cats that are male. That said, being outside certainly means that he could have suffered an injury that would have caused a break. X-rays can give your vet the ability to determine 100% if there are any damaged bones.

Checking in. How is Tim doing?