Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years providing medical care for pet cats
64354720

Our 13 yr old cat went to a boarding kennel days while we

Customer Question

Our 13 yr old cat went to a boarding kennel for 5 days while we were away. When he came home he had diahrrea all over the house for a day and wouldn't eat. Then he was better for a few days but yesterday he threw up his food after each feeding and again this morning. I switched his food from Science Diet Food for multiple cats to sensitive stomach and skin mixed with the first. But he still threw this up. What do you think is going on with him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you with Gus today. Is Gus feeling bad or just vomiting? No diarrhea/cough/sneeze/runny eyes or nose? Are his vaccines up to date? Is he being treated for any other problems? Sorry for all the questions but without being able to see or examine him I have to ask.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He seems fine. None of the symptoms you mention. His vaccines are up to date. No other problems. He is a big cat, 18 lbs. Had surgery in March to remove a benign tumor on his lip and a tooth that was dying. Fine since then.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I forgot to mention he got scared and went into hiding when our son and his 3 little kids came over. He couldn't get to his litter box while they were here. He peed in our closet .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This was 4 days ago.

While vomiting can be symptom of a lot of problems, from what you have said I wonder if the stress of boarding Gus, combined with being frightened by the children, could have brought on a case of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Even though it's a bowel issue, vomiting is the most common symptom, and any stress can bring it on. Another possibility is he picked up a bug at the boarding facility. Hard to say. Changing to a sensitive stomach diet is a good idea, but he may need some medication to quiet things down.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Gus, if you want you can go to www.veterinarypartner.com to research IBD, in case you want to check it out.

If this is IBD your Vet can give Gus some medication to quiet his vomiting and relieve inflammation in his intestine (Cerenia). Many times an antibiotic (Metronidazol) is also given to help quiet the bowel. Sometimes Prednisone is needed for a short time also.

It sounds like you have done a good job so far, but Gus may require these medications. We can't have Gus going mor than two or three days without eating, as that can cause him some liver problems

If Gus is not able to hold down food you would be well advised to have your Vet see him. You don't want to let this go on too long. Have I answered your questions or is there something else I can help with?

Are you still online with me?

If I have answered your questions I would appreciate it if you would click "Accept" and rate me for the website. Without that I will not be credited with helping you with Gus's problem. Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just made an appointment with my vet. Thanks.

Glad to hear it. Hopefully they will be able to get Gus feeling better. Good luck. Dr. Gregg