Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I have a -fur tabby named who like to eat the cat litter.

Customer Question

I have a long-fur tabby named Tony who like to eat the cat litter. Not the waste products, the litter. I'm afraid it' going to make him sick as it's the scoop kind. He was rescued from outdoors and I think it's due to he used to eat dirt out there to help his digestion. He sheds a lot and has a lot of fur balls. Maybe I can give him some alternative?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

Eating litter could certainly be a problem as is may cause an intestinal obstruction. Is it the scoop able clay litter? Does he eat other kinds of litter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only use the scoopable. Not sure of any other kind he might eat.

I would recommend trying another type of litter first. Its possible that he will not recognize a different material as a food item. As for an alternative, you can redirect him and offer him kibble when you see him eating his litter. You may also want to try offering him kitty grass. This can be purchased in pet stores and is a container that contains grass seeds to be grown indoors. Giving him this alternative may distract him from eating his litter. I would also recommend changing his litter. There is another scoop able kind made out of wheat that is different enough that he may not recognize it as a food item. Of course, he should also have a thorough veterinary exam and possibly blood work to make sure he truly is healthy. If he has a dietary deficiency, then he may continue to want to eat non-food items and this may cause a problem in the future. Adding a multi-vitamin to his diet (one made for cats, of course) may also help him but if he is on a commercially prepared cat food, this should be complete and vitamin supplementation is not usually necessary.

I noticed that you have not yet responded to my last message or accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie