Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat got today the trazadone... 25 mg like you said In

Customer Question

Hi Stephanie
My cat got today the trazadone... 25 mg like you said
In fact my order said 50 mg every 12 hours but I figured why not try the 25 and see if that does the trick
Well she is sitting in her huge cat tree but I feel like she is alert to every thing I do- for example if I wrinkle a piece of paper her head is up like "what are you doing there mommy"
I really want her to be comfortable in this trip... So I wonder if I should try 50 mg like the prescription says? I worry is just too much!!!
Or the vet offered us to get us a prescription of something similar she said to Valium... I heard cats act weird on that stuff... I want her to be safe but yet calm, what should I do?
I mean I guess I can deal with the meows, cause we both love her but I worry that she will put lots of stress on her over the trip and then she will stop eating like she did before we moved last year...we had to spoon feed her last year for like 3 weeks until she came around
I tried the pheromone spray too feliway and she would still meow, maybe not as much but she would still be nuts...
I guess my expectations are too high of her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I take her on a car ride to really see if the trazadone works? Haha
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I don't think I would go up in the dose quite yet. I would actually start at 25 mg in a cat and try it for a couple days before deciding whether it helps or if the dose needs to be increased. I would try a short trip in the car for 2-3 days after 25 mg. If it's not improved, then I would go up to 50 and see how she does.

I would also spray a towel with Feliway and put that in her cat carrier in the car. It also seems to help calm them down for trips.

If Trazodone does not work, I would go with Xanax (Alprazolam) or Clomicalm (Clonazepam)- these are the two valium type meds.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I don't plan on doing it for many days because isn't it like an instant effect? I am not home during the day much to do trials on many days. I tried today and she seems to be sleepy so I could drive her for like 10-15 min and see how it does?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think Xanax will make them way calmer or trazadone would be preferred and safer?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Trazodone is supposed to build up in the body. It's not a med with instant effectiveness.

I would try the short drive and see how she does.

I prefer Trazodone in dogs and Xanax in cats, personally. I just think it works better for them and I'm more comfortable with it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok so I could get a prescription of Xanax... Is that with instant effect on cats? What dosage?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can do a trial on her next week
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Yes, you can get a script for Xanax. I usually go with 0.25 mg as needed. It's not one that I want to build up in the body like Trazodone. I just give it when it's needed.