Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I have a very tiny kitten who has been diagnosed with a

Customer Question

I have a very tiny kitten who has been diagnosed with a congenital heart defect. Possibly a whole in it somewhere but definitely an enlarged (very) heart as seen on an X-ray. He weighs 11 oz and is about 7 weeks old. He eats and drinks okay.he is lethargic, stays to himself and breathing extremely labored. My vet put him on LASIK liquid twice a day with ultimately bringing him back to be put to sleep. I do not want this outcome and am wondering if there is any other treatments possible as my vet said he would be much to small for surgery. Is there any way to gimme him oxygen or anything to keep him more comfortable. I love him so very much already.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I am sorry to hear the grave prognosis for your kitten. Congenital heart defects are very challenging to fix in tiny kittens. Giving him oxygen would be a temporary/palliative treatment, not a permanent solution. The only possible way to fix his heart would be surgery. If this is something you want to try, but your vet disagrees, the other option would be to have him see a cardiologist at a veterinary specialty center or veterinary school. They would be able to perform an echocardiogram to see if he would be a suitable canididate for surgery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know that the oxygen is a temporary fix but I need to know how to administer it or where to get it or if I can somehow make a bubble tent and use a Capp machine that we have.? Please be detailed regarding this as I am desperate to do something immediately for him,

Most emergency veterinary hospitals have an oxygen chamber. The percent of oxygen delivered and humidity in the chamber must be carefully monitored. This is not something that can easily be done in a home environment since the kitten is so small. People can wear oxygen masks, but that would be stressful for the kitten...which could challenge his weak heart further.