Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

One of our cats has started incessant meowing, that can go

Customer Question

One of our cats has started incessant meowing, that can go on for hours; what is he trying to tell us?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How is his appetite?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

When was the last time you seen him urinate or defecate?

Any areas of pain that you can feel on him, especially his abdomen?

Any problems with urination seen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His appetite seems okay; have seen vomit, but not from which cat; have not witnessed a urination or defication; does not seem to be any tender area; ans, again, have not seen him urinate.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Constant vocalization in cats usually raises concerns for anxiety or pain/illness. It is possible that the vomit is coming from him, and he may have some abdomen discomfort. The only thing that concerns me from your description is that you haven't seen him urinate or defecate. Not saying he hasn't, but if he has a urinary or gastrointestinal blockage, it can cause a lot of discomfort and start to make him very sick quickly. Cup your hand under his belly and make sure you do not feel a large, water balloon type mass. If you do, that means a urinary blockage and is considered an emergency. If all that is normal, though, this could be an anxiety issue. Make sure there are no changes in his environment or loud noises/activity outside. Any new pets or people inside? Stray cats outside? Anything that may break his routine can cause problems. You can try getting some Feliway spray from the pet store to see helps with anxiety, but I would just recommend having your vet check him out instead. Cats don't show signs of illness very easily, so when they do, it may be more advanced than we would think. I would just play it on the safe side. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.