Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

When I went to visit by 94 year old mother I discovered that

Customer Question

When I went to visit by 94 year old mother I discovered that her 17 year old cat was not feeling and well and had lost two pounds. I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a respiratory infection and the vet has him taking enrofloxacin 68mg at the rate of 1/4 tablet by mouth each day. He is drinking water but he is not eating. I have tried different types of wet cat food but he simply is not eating anything. Do you have any suggestions as to a brand or type of food that might entice him to eat or is there something that I could make for him? Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Hi Linda,

Bless your mom for taking such awesome care of Puddy that he has reached 17!

When a cat has a URI he cannot smell his food so that is why Puddy is no eating.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish and let him lap it up. If he does offer some tuna.

Get a few jars of chicken baby food with no onion or garlic. Warm it to ring out the aroma.

Make a steamroom by running a hot shower. Take him in the bathroom for ten minute intervals.

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

https://www.chlor-trimeton.com/
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so he will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how he is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri