Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have an outside cat this is around 10 years old ...She has

Customer Question

I have an outside cat this is around 10 years old ...She has suddenly become ill and has not eaten for 3 days ..or drank water....yesterday she was trying to cough and it sounds like the croup...her coat is very dull and lifeless and her mouth stays open a little and looks not well...she can still get up and walk around but sleeps in a little basket most of the day..I have not seen her urinate or other...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Whatever the cause, a 13 year old cat who hasn't eaten or drunk in three days is now profoundly dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced and needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Her cough/croup is worrisome for advanced cardiopulmonary disease at 10 years of age and so a vet needs to perform a thorough physical exam on Cooney including X-rays of her chest. All of her symptoms are important but they're not pathgnomonic (specificallly indicative) of any one particular disorder; hence, the need for her to be examined hands-on. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.