Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

The last couple weeks my cat has gotten completely

Customer Question

The last couple weeks my cat has gotten completely out-of-control. She used to use the litter box exclusively, but now is pooping & peeing all over the place - specifically places that I lie & sit! What can I do? I'm thinking of banishing her to the basement for now before she does any more damage.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

A few weeks and she is over 12 years of age:

You definitely need to get her in to the vet for evaluation. It's easy to assume that this is a behavioral issue when it is very likely a medical problem. Absolutely, she needs to get some basic testing done to ruleout issues like kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, urinary tract infection, etc...all of which are common causes for inappropriate elimination habits.

Banishing her elsewhere could result in delayed diagnosis of a medical cause that could possibly get treated.

Hope that information helps
I would likely recommend starting with a good blood and urine test.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Squeaker. How is everything going?