PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 12yr old cat has shown the following symptoms .she

Customer Question

My 12yr old cat has shown the following symptoms .she doesn't want to eat her dry food,but she eats tuna she's seems a little lethargic.summer maybe? She's lost weight,but drinking water,I'm wondering tooth problems ,crystals or urinary infection,or can they be depressed.she is out with me on my lap and sits on the window ledge.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's also an indoor cat.her name is tres.I'm concerned.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When was the last time that Tres had an exam to check her oral health?
2) Any urinating outside of the box?
3) When was blood work last run?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's never had an oral exam.no she's not urinating outside of the box.she hasn't had blood work done.

Along with your concern of dental issues, crystal/urinary infection, we should also add in a concern for underlying organ dysfunction like kidney failure. At 12 years of age, this could be expected.

I would recommend taking Tres to your vet and having them not only perform an oral exam to be sure that she is not in need of a dental cleaning (with or without necessary extractions) but also to perform blood work and a urinalysis. This will determine if dental, crystal, urinary or organ concerns exist and also allow your vet to give you more information on what should be done to effectively treat her symptoms.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.