Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My 15 year old cat ha been losing weight past 3-4 months and

Customer Question

My 15 year old cat ha been losing weight for the past 3-4 months and does not eat his food basically just licks the moisture out and leaves the rest. He is thirsty quite often and a recent visit to the vet recommended moist food and called K-D which is supposed to promote kidney health. Any suggestions
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. At 15 years of age selective eating and polydipsia (increased thirst) usually indicates chronic renal failure. Chronic hepatic failure and age-related malignancies need to be considered as well. If k/d were recommended, either Butch's kidneys or liver concerned Butch's vet. k/d is a good idea but I need to see a copy of Butch's test results to know if there's more you should be doing. Can you upload a copy of the test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Butch's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

I'm just following up on our conversation about Butch. How is everything going?