Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

16 year old cat has front right paw limp. Small stomach

Customer Question

16 year old cat has front right paw limp. Small stomach growls. Mouth partially open. Please help. We guess stomach ache but aren't sure. Resting peacefully now.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is DRB. If this came on very suddenly then the most likely cause is actually a blood clot to the front leg and that is very serious and your cat needs to see an ER Doc asap. If this came on slowly then this could be several things like an injury or arthritis. But I don't like the mouth being open especially if this came on quickly. I worry about blood clots in older cats.....please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns as I will check back tomorrow with you. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional

Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help. A few more questions. She was out in the heat today and being perfectly normal. The heat was high and so was the humidity. She was out for about an hour. Could any of this be a factor?
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Well , maybe......in terms of being a stress that could have exacerbated a condition that may have been sub-clinical. Usually cats are smart enough to seek shade, but if not use to heat and it is very hot this is definitely not good for older cat especially.

Can I answer any other questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Can I answer any other questions?

Sincerely, DRB