Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

My cat is treated monthly. Has no fleas, ticks, or mites.

Customer Question

My cat is treated monthly. Has no fleas, ticks, or mites. Hair around the neck is falling out. NO scratching and hairless skin is smooth to the touch. Not irritated when petted. Recently became an outside cat within last three months. Any clues??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was originally a feral cal and took me 1 1/2 yrs to get him inside but didn't last long. Needed to let him out during the day but comes in to sleep & eat at night. Knows this is his home but will not stay in.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are 2 causes for this. One is that the collar is irritating that area causing the hair to fall out. Even if there is no evidence of any irritation, the collar may be doing this even though it may not be tight. Try another form of collar that has a different material. The other possibility is that, if Marty is neutered, they can get a condition called Hormone Responsive Alopecia. This means that the lack of long term testosterone has affected his fur and is causing this. This can be treated with hormones but since it is only around the neck, this may not be required. Your vet would give a long acting steroid injection or other hormones that will cause the hair to return in the areas affected. This is not serious condition and will not cause Marty any harm if left untreated although he may get more areas affected.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****