Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our cat has been vomiting few weeks....we took m to a vet

Customer Question

our cat has been vomiting for a few weeks....we took him to a vet who did test and found parasites in his system (we found him eating out of compost one time) and put him on metronidazole 200mg for a week for half tablet twice a day. He still vomits after being on these tablets for a week. we took him back and asked to put on the tablets for two weeks, as we felt he was not on the treatment long enough for his system to rid off the parasites. He is now three and a half days into being on the tablets and we have just found he vomits again. We gave him the tablet this morning and he had tuna (human tuna) to eat. he vomits about an hour after having ate the tuna. The tuna looks like they have not been completely digested as there was some small chunks. they also did some blood test and said he is anaemic which explained iron nutrient was lost through him not been able to hold the food down properly for period of time. They want to do ultrasound, too but we can't afford the cost so we thought we wait to see if the two-weeks-tablet treatment second time round will make any different. Also we sprayed sour sobs for our whole yards with Glysophate about the same time our cat starts to vomit. We checked this out with our local gardening expert and they said that should not the cause as Glysophate is salt base product, very mild and broken down quickly. Can you please enlighten with some helpful advice. Much appreciation. Thanks Simone
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help you and Kingsley. I would like to ask you some questions to better assess your situation.

1. You mentioned a fecal test showed parasites, do you know exactly what he was diagnosed with?

2. You mentioned blood work. Was anemia the only abnormality? Any mention of the liver, kidneys or thyroid?

3. What food besides the canned tuna are you feeding?

4. Any diarrhea?

Thank you, ***** ***** forward to helping you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dr Christi,
Sorry for not replying previously as we are still waiting for our vet to give us answer in regards ***** ***** diagnosis. We hope to have it by this afternoon and will inform you as soon as we know.
Kingsley's liver, kidneys and hormone levels is essentially normal.
We have been feeding him only human canned tuna for 3-4 weeks now.
As Kingsley started to vomit around the time after we caught him eating out of compost, this is the only time that he ever vomits like this since he came to live with us about ten years ago, I strongly believe that the parasites cause him to vomit and that vomiting causes him to lose a lot of essential nutrient like iron. Since fish takes longer to digest....there are some chunks of tuna when he vomits a few hours later after he ate, can we give him some cooked chicken instead? We just think if he is able to digest some food and get some nutrients into his system then this could help building up of iron for his system.
I am unable to tell if he has diarrhea though...can try to find out by leaving a cat litter outside for him to see if he does it there.
Can the Glysophate have anything to do with all this vomiting?Thanks
Simone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Christi,Our vet said the initial fecal test found protozoa or giardla.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you call me on(###) ###-####...am still waiting for your reply answer over the weekend Thanks Simone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you please also all my home on 08 82708243 as I would prefer speaking on home phone thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when can she reply to my previous questions?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Christi,As I have previously mentioned Kinglsey had a blood test when we had a second visit to the vet. I have attached the results to this email for your reference if this helps your diagnosis in anyway.Thanks Simone

I'm sorry, it has been a busy week at work! I am reviewing the blood test you attached and will reply back shortly.

Ok, so looking at the bloodwork, your cat is anemic (low red cell count). You also mentioned he is positive for Giardia. Has your vet done any additional work up to find out why your cat has a low red cell count? Giardia does not typically cause bleeding in the GI tract.

Is Metronidazole the only medication you have been prescribed? Giardia is not known to cause vomiting, so I am concerned that there is something else going on and the Giardia was randomly found (it can cause diarrhea, but I see plenty of pets with Giardia positive fecals that are 100% normal).

You mentioned they wanted to do an ultrasound, have they already done a radiograph?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Christi,Thanks for your reply. The only additional work which our vet has undertaken is the blood test which, as you said, shows that he is anaemic.The vet said that they “detected protozoa (probable Giardia) in a small sample of diarrhoea he passed”.Metronidazole is the only prescription he has been taking and there are 5 and a half days left for him to take.
Would you recommend allowing Kingsley to finish taking the rest of his Metronidazole (approximately 5 days left)? Or would you recommend taking him to the vet to undertake further tests like an ultrasound?The vet suggests doing another stool test. They have not done the ultrasound or radiograph yet.Do you have any idea or a rough diagnosis on what the underlying health issue might be? Based on the information that we have provided you?Thanks Simone

Vomiting is a very broad symptom with many potential diagnoses. The fact that the overall blood work is normal is great, that rules out a lot of liver & kidney issues. The anemia is concerning, as that indicates blood loss (possibly through his stomach or GI tract). A second stool sample is not wrong, and would be a good place to start. I'm surprised they haven't done a trial of anti-nausea, as pancreatitis, mild liver inflammation, gastritis, gastro-enteritis are all possible causes of vomiting. All of these can occur with normal blood work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. Would you recommend us asking the vet to do an anti-nausea trial?
2. Should we stop giving him Metronidazole since they don't stop the vomiting?
3. Is ultrasound and radiograph necessary course of actions for vomiting?
4. In your opinion do you think his vomiting is caused by poison and parasites (he fell ill around the time we sprayed the yards with Glysophate and caught him ate compost)
5. in your opinion do you think his anaemic is also caused by persistent vomiting because iron nutrient is lost?
I would like you to address each of these questions please.
Thanks
Simone
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

I am so sorry, I did not see this reply back! Feel free to reply to this and I can address any questions you may still have.