Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is a 16 year old female Calico who was recently

Customer Question

My cat is a 16 year old female Calico who was recently diagnosed with borderline intestinal small cell lymphoma (ISCL). Medications provided make her eat OK but she has horrible gas which makes her uncomfortable and reduces her appetite. She is taking Predisilone but it doesn't seem to reduce her gas. Her stomach noises are very loud and constant. Is there any medication that will stop the gas? is there any special diet that will help? Can I give her Phazyme? I'm desperate...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about Fraggie. Lymphoma is a tough diagnosis to hear.

There is not really a medication to help here. Sometimes we'll use gas-x (phazyme, simethicone) in dogs, but I haven't used it in cats. I think it could be tried, but it would have to be mixed into a solution to get the dose down.

I would lean more toward changing the diet to a high fiber diet that may get the colon function more normal. I would go with Royal Canin fiber response. This is a good diet for these cats.