Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Distended abdomen. She is 19 years old, diagnosed with stage

Customer Question

Distended abdomen. She is 19 years old, diagnosed with stage II Kidney disease about 2 years ago. She howls all the time and acts like she is starving. Abdomen just starting looking distended today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: I am fairly certain she has hyperthyroid but I am not sure what is going on with her abdomen.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She has started peeing and pooling in my bedroom even though she always has two clean liter boxes.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

A distended abdomen in an older cat like this is often due to fluid accumulation. That can be secondary to cancer in the abdomen (Lymphoma). It could also be secondary to low protein and leaky vessels. This can be a result of protein loss in the urine from kidney disease. Lastly, it could be due to right sided heart failure.

I would get her seen in the morning and get the abdomen tapped. The type of fluid will help determine the underlying cause and the next steps regarding diagnostics and treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?