Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I found a very pregnant stray cat tonight, and I wanted to

Customer Question

I found a very pregnant stray cat tonight, and I wanted to know when I can expect her to deliver.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for taking care of this girl. The best thing you can do for her at this time at home is to make sure she has good shelter, a dark and secluded area for having kittens, and then having readily accessible food and water. Could she have kittens in a few hours to a few days to a week? This is typically the time frame when a cat that is known to be pregnant looks very pregnant. If you wanted a kitten count to know how many to expect, you could get an X-ray with your vet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also read that they lick their genitals excessively shortly before they go into labor. Do they lick and groom everywhere and how do I know what is excessive for a cat I just met?

They may lick their genitals more. But, they could also just be more fastidious with their cleanliness. There in is the unknown. If she is pregnant, then licking more could mean things are going to be interesting in the next 24 hours.