Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Woke up this morning and cat was meowing a lot. He hardly

Customer Question

Woke up this morning and cat was meowing a lot. He hardly ever meows. Judging by the litter box I believe he has stopped pooping. Should I try a stool softener. She is eating and drinking normally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Dustin. Approximately 7.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dustin?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. That is good that Dustin is eating normally. Is Dustin a boy or a girl? What did his last stools look like? Has he been in there more posturing to go?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Male. Looked regular. Has been in box once. One Little round stool bought quarter size.

Thanks for that information. That is good that the stools last looked regular as that more than likely means that a colon issue isn't at hand. Ironically, the urinary system is way more of concern here. Male cats can have urethral blockages that happen way, way, way more frequently. He should be absolutely monitored very closely for if he's urinating - if he's in the litter box more and straining, then a urinary blockage would be my primary concern. This is an emergency if he can't urinate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm concerned because I am leaving for 3 days. He'll be alone.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think he's peeing.

Him being able to continue to pee is very important. You could get him to your vet and have them quickly check him over prior to your leaving. The other option is to have who ever is checking on him watch the litter box like a hawk to make sure there is urine in there every day. If he's straining to go, vocalizing, or just looking painful - then a blockage may be at hand!

Here is a very good link on the urinary blockage with male cats for you to familiarize yourself with it more.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?