Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My Blue Russian cat has been regurgitating her dry cat food

Customer Question

My Blue Russian cat has been regurgitating her dry cat food for the last several days. She does not do this with canned food, only with her dry food. Is this indicative of a serious disorder, or might this be temporary?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

When she does this, is she having abdominal contractions and retching or is it just coming up with no warning?

Any recent change in her dry food or even a new bag you may have opened?

Any other signs of illness?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It comes up without warning (no retching). No new cat food, and the present bag was opened some time ago. No other signs of illness, and her tail remains high in the air (no other unusual behavior or signs of illness).
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. I had to see a couple of appointments. It does sound like she is regurgitating and not vomiting. Regurgitation is usually an esophageal problem. That may explain why she does better with wet food. I would definitely have your vet check her out. If she has an esophageal problem, it may be due to inflammation, a stricture, a mass or a neurologic disorder. Either way, regurgitation can easily cause them to aspirate food into their lungs and cause a pneumonia. This isn't usually a temporary problem. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. John