Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 18 year old cat has been eating very little throwing up

Customer Question

My 18 year old cat has been eating very little throwing up about every other day and drinking a lot of water. She has become lathargic over the past few weeks. I feel she is nearing the end but I don't know how to tell.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She is very needy. In our lap a lot. She very thin but always has been a "fit" cat. She's lived a good live and has been a joy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

Given her signs- increased thirst, decreased appetite, vomiting- I think the most likely cause is kidney failure. Diabetes and liver disease are also possible causes. To know for sure, you'll need to run some bloodwork.

It does sound like she may be getting to the point where you start thinking about hospice care vs euthanasia vs trying to work her up and treat aggressively. There is no right answer for each cat or each client. It really comes down to how aggressive you want to be and how that will impact her quality of life day to day. It's not wrong to run bloodwork and then elect to euthanize if she's in bad kidney failure or in a diabetic crisis.

The main thing is to be sure she's not suffering at all and that the treatment will allow her to go back to a good quality of life.