Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our 7 year old cat had her teeth cleaned and 3 teeth

Customer Question

Our 7 year old cat had her teeth cleaned and 3 teeth extracted on June 28. She had 4 days of pain medication - 1.5mg/ml Metacam Oral. She seemed to be doing ok. In the past couple days she has been sleeping a lot more and does not seem to be eating or drinking much. She kind of licks her mouth funny quite a bit. What could be wrong with her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would wonder if she has a tooth root that has an infection. A fever could lead to the lethargy and decreased appetite that you are seeing. I would have the vet who did the dental recheck her tomorrow. If she has a fever or there is an area of inflamed gums, they will likely give a round of antibiotics to get that under control.

Most dentals with extractions don't need antibiotics, but on occasion we'll see an infection and have to treat it specifically.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had read online that the pain medication she received could cause kidney failure - could that be the problem?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Metacam is pretty safe. It is metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. This is the same as all NSAIDs. It wouldn't hurt to check kidney values. I think it's unlikely to be kidney failure, though.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a tooth root infection could be happening now - 2 weeks after the extraction?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Oh yeah, she could have what you would call dry socket in people- an infection in the empty socket as it's trying to heal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My vet has no opening and is offering pain medication for 5 days in the mean time ... will that help or will it just mask the issue? Should I find a new vet?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I think that will help. If the body fights off the infection on it's own then you could avoid antibiotics. If things are not improving day to day, then I would get an exam sooner either there or with a new vet.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?