Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Why does my male cat, almost 2 years old, vomit, then just

Customer Question

Why does my male cat, almost 2 years old, vomit, then just lie around and not eat for almost 2 days. He then feels better, starts eating again and runs and plays for about 8-9 days. Then he goes through the sick phase again of vomiting, lying around and not eating for about 2 days. This happens over and over. I've taken him to the vet and in May spent about $800 for all kinds of tests and they apparently could find nothing to account for this behavior. He was a stray that had been rescued by an organization called TRAIN. He had been taken to the vet and at first was thought to have FELV. I adopted him last September and after 3 months had him checked again and he did not have FELV. But there has to be some reason he goes through this cycle of feeling good then being sick over and over.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What type of tests did he have performed already? Does he spend anytime outside at all? What type of food is he eating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tests on 5-6-16: Wellness Program, Thyroid test, Urinalysis, Radiograph 14 x 17(2), enemas, Cerenia injection, Polyethylene glycol*****
5-16-16: Fluoxetine 10 mg capsule, Feliway electric diffuser, subcutaneous fluids, Cerenia injection, Ketamine anesthesia.
6-8-16: Given Polyethylene Glycol*****He does not spend time outside. He eats Purina dry food for sensitive systems, canned Fancy Feast tuna. The vet did have me try some Hills Science diet canned food but he didn't eat that very well.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm going to sign off for the night and will contact you again tomorrow (Thursday)

Okay thanks for the additional information. I see he was given some anti-anxiety treatment. Did the veterinarian think his symptoms were from stress? Was the Hill's Science Diet I/D formula. Okay you can contact me tomorrow.