Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an American short hair cat, he is about 1 yrs old. He

Customer Question

i have an American short hair cat, he is about 1 yrs old. He has recently started shedding clumps and clumps of hair. what is the reason that he is shedding so much?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I am very much a cat person myself and have advised on just this problem many times in the past. However have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. There are some medical conditions which can affect a cat's hair and coat. Consider thyroid gland disorders just for example, while in Nemo's age group health problems related to the hair loss would be very rare indeed this is a possibility you should not overlook so you may want to have him checked over by your vet before going any further. We are not really sure of the non medical reasons for excess coat shedding is in domestic cats but it is thought to sometimes be related to artificial lighting in house cats as they may naturally shed in the wild due to trigger factors such as day length and ambient temperature.

2. If Nemo gets a clean bill of health then there are in fact very few drugs which will directly affect his fur and the constant shedding, but one such is thought to long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplements. Cat show people often add this to their cat's diet as a supplement using commercial products such as Mirracoat.

3. However a very good source of polyunsaturates is healthy margarines such as Flora { and other brands } which are rich in polyunsaturates, over the years my clients have often reported very good results in halting excessive moulting for example by adding a teaspoon of Flora to their cat's food each day. It takes about a month to exert its effect but you most likely have this type of margarine in the fridge anyway. It is also a good idea to keep combing your cat's fur through each day to remove any undercoat.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Nemo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his coat condition ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Ayza,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nemo. How is everything going?