Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Just noticed one my ats eyes is dilated.she is 10 yrs old

Customer Question

Just noticed one my ats eyes is dilated.she is 10 yrs old and pbese. I think s high blood pressure. Had she suddenly gone blind in that eyes?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Abigail
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abigail?
Customer: She is otherwise healthy. I got her from the SPCA when she was 2 or so they said.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would worry that she may have detached her retina or hypertension caused acute blindness in that eye. The dilation of the eye is the body trying to let more light in.

A good retinal exam is needed to find out what happened. I would have this done tonight with an ER vet or tomorrow with your regular vet. The sooner the better to get on blood pressure meds to try to get the retina to come back. It's a bit of a long shot to get vision to return, but we sometimes get lucky and it will come back.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.