Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He is all of a sudden peeing and pooping on our bed, Riley

Customer Question

He is all of a sudden peeing and pooping on our bed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Riley and he is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?
Customer: He has been with us for a few months and doesn't get along with our first cat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Is Riley an indoor cat with a litter tray?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Riley is an indoor cat with a litter tray
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has had issues with using it all along since we've had him but never on the bed before

Thanks for the quick reply,

Just working on your answer now.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I know this is a very frustrating problem, however have worked out an answer for you below ...

My first recommendation is always to have your cat examined by your vet in case this is some sort of medical problem, I know this is very unlikely as he has had this sort of behaviour problem all along, but this is a point you would not want to miss. If this is not a medical problem then logically it must be a behavioural problem, truthfully this can be a difficult issue to resolve, I know you have tried some of my suggestions I am about to make but here listed below is the sum total of the ideas which I have given to my clients in the past, some of these have worked well, hopefully I can give you some new ideas to try ....

1. When you clean up after where Riley has been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solution you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to the cat it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to a cat he may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while, this should be fine in the sink anyway.

2. Try moving the cat litterbox, that's often a good thing to do. Best advice is to keep the litter tray well away from food or water bowls because that sometimes could be reason he does not go. Sometimes providing another litter tray elsewhere in the house is a good idea as well.

3. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring him back into his litter tray. If this works you can gradually change back to regular cat litter.

4. Some cats start to be dirty in the house because they are marking out their territory in response to some anxiety, another cat in the neighbourhood etc. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. I have put a link about Feliway below so you can research this further.

LINK

5. Some cats respond to low level tranquilisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Riley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his behavioural problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?