Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat, a sphinx, had liver problems and developed jaundice.

Customer Question

my cat, a sphinx, had liver problems and developed jaundice. He was put on clavamax. That helped him as far as the jaundice is concerned. Some time later the doctor put him both on clavamax and veraflox. A day later his stomach extended very much . Could that be a side effect?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: He did vomit which had stopped. He then developed a runny stool which was treated with immodium. What can I do about the stomach
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of. By the way he is eating and drinking normally
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

A stomach as you've described might well be effusive; in other words, the abdominal cavity is full of fluid - also called ascites. This occurs for a number of reasons but in your cat's case, a failing liver that can't produce enough albumin - a small protein needed to keep fluid inside vessels and out of "third spaces" such as the abdominal cavity - would be the primary differential diagnosis (hypoalbuminemia). His vet needs to know what you're seeing. The presence of fluid in the abdomen can be confirmed with either X-rays or ultrasound and his blood can be checked for its albumin level.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I should have been more precise. His bloodworm is good. He has had both ultra sound and x Ray. No abnormalities were found. His albumin level is good. Again could it be a reaction to the veraflox since his stomach extended in a view hours after I started him on it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should read few not view
Should read blood work not bloodworm.
Hate spell check

Thank you for the additional information. I don't know of a mechanism for Veroflox to distend the stomach. Diarrhea and loose stools are occasionally reported so perhaps his GI tract became gas filled. Have you stopped administering it which would tell us if it were responsible or not?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. I will stop tonight. I will get back to you if I see a change. Or not in a day or two. Thank you

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.