Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

Eye popped out my cat, scooter 4 1/2, emergency vet costs

Customer Question

eye popped out my cat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: scooter 4 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scooter?
Customer: emergency vet costs $400 if i have him meet me now dispatch says to wait til morning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I'd be glad to help with your question about Scooter. I'm sorry to hear about his eye. Unless there has been an ongoing eye problem (e.g. a corneal ulcer, etc.), it is worth noting that it takes considerable trauma (e.g. hit by car perhaps) to force the globe from its socket (i.e. when the globe hasn't ruptured first) and the skull can be fractured around the eye, etc. during such trauma. Hopefully, he is okay otherwise. Check to make sure his gum color is pink and he is breathing normally (i.e. no heavy breathing or rapid breathing). If he eats and drinks, then it is less likely that he has sustained a potentially life threatening injury. Do check him over for other wounds or painful sites on his body.

If he is seen immediately (i.e. although expensive), there is some chance that his eye could be saved but that depends on how much damage was done to the globe and surrounding muscles. If you can see the globe is ruptured/deflated, then the eye cannot be saved. If he waits until tomorrow to see the vet, then his eye will most certainly need to be removed surgically. When determining whether or not to spend the additional funds to have him seen today, please consider that he is likely in pain and he may have other injuries that are not evident to you: seeing a veterinarian today would allow for pain relief now and checking to see if anything thing else is wrong that needs attention.

If you do choose to wait until tomorrow to have Scooter seen (assuming nothing else seems wrong as mentioned above), then please consider going to the pet store to get an e-collar to prevent further damage to the site that can contribute to infection and delays in healing after surgery. https://www.amazon.com/All-Four-Paws-Collar-X-Small/dp/B003QRNHMC/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1468331457&sr=1-2&keywords=e-collar+cat

Also, keep Scooter inside and make sure he is eating and drinking. I would suggest canned food as a more appetizing choice that is easier to eat if he is in pain.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information youn needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

I wanted to check in and see how your cat is doing? Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Hi Samantha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing