Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Can a cat take human asthma inhaler like ventolin? I have a

Customer Question

Can a cat take human asthma inhaler like ventolin? I have a chamber that fits over his nose and mouth to administer, but wondering if he can take it, what kind of dosage would be acceptable?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello Cynthia,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again Cynthia,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Ventolin via a human inhaler is sometimes prescribed for cats and provided you have the proper mask to deliver it then this can be very effective in responsive diseases such as cat asthma.

2. I usually suggest one puff twice a day into the mask and then make sure the cat takes five inhalations.

3. Here is a link to a very informative article which covers this topic : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.