Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Cat is 10 years old. Is somewhat lethargic and now is

Customer Question

cat is 10 years old. Is somewhat lethargic and now is drooling. He has been bothered with fleas and ticks and his old Seresta collar was at the end of its functioing. I put a new Seresta collar on him about an hour ago. He was drooling then, still drooling. Wondering if he got into some ant powder which was outside or if it is something else. He has not eaten much for a few days but has been drinking water and did eat some special warm chicken and some good white tuna. His old food (tuna and Chicken Fancyfeast does not seem to interest him at all. Tried to eat something just now, but spit up a lot of mucous with the food and maybe had difficulty swallowing it. He seems to have slightly fast heart rate and be a little shaky.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Buddy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Drooling is a sign of nausea, pain, pancreatitis and dental diseaese (loose or infected teeth) in cats. It can also be from eating something that irritated the inside of his mouth so the ant powder might be the problem, although cats are notoriously finicky and usually do not eat things like ant powder. What is the name of the ant powder so I can look up its active ingredients?

Not eating really worries me; he might be getting dehdrated. Cats stop eating from dental disease, pain, fever, internal illnesses.

If you look at his gums, are they pale or a normal bright pink? Check him for dehydration: gently pinch skin over his shoulders and let it go; the skin should be back in normal position in less than one second. If it takes longer, he is dehydrated.

I am pretty worried about him. If I could, I would start with a thorough physical exam: listen to his heart and lungs with a stethoscope, palpate his internal organs and lymph nodes, take his temperature, check his gums, etc. That would be the first step of finding out what is wrong with him.

Let me know about his gum color and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; how is Buddy doing? I hope you were able to see my response to your question. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.