Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

She had a large bump above her nose and swelling of her

Customer Question

she had a large bump above her nose and swelling of her nose. she seems congested also.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kali & she is about 7 months. She is a semi-tame feral cat that has been spade.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kali?
Customer: She has no appetite for about 4 days, then started eating & drinking water again. That is when I noticed the big bump that has gone down a bit, but the respiratory distress is still there.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Kali. Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of her face?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
photo uploaded, though it does not show her swelling very well. The lump above her nose has gone down but is still there. To clarify; she was very sick & disoriented for 4 days (with no appetite), it was the eveing of the 4th day that she developed the big bump & very swollen nose, but recovered her appetite. She is still wheezing & seems stuffed up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we suspected she was bitten by a snake or spider initially, then developed respiratory distress.

Thank you for the picture and further details. Your theory would make sense and explain some of her symptoms...spider and snake bites can be very painful and cause a large amount of swelling in some cases. I recommend taking her in to see your vet to examine her nose and ensure something else is not going on. Cats can have nasal swelling due to fungal infections, polyps and sometimes nasal tumors. If she is still not feeling well, she may also need antibiotics and pain medication.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is a SEMI-tame feral cat. I know trapping her & bringing to the vet will be very traumatic, and am wondering if it is essential. She seems to bee feeling better and eating, though still wheezing & has lost her "meow"
Would the trauma of taking her to a vet be harmful?

Do you have a local mobile vet who could come to your home to minimize the stress of transport? If not, you could check with your vet to see if they may prescribe a sedative for the visit that you could give her in her food before the exam. If the nasal swelling is still present, I would advise to get her examined.