Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My daughter notices a sore near my cat's anus- on the left

Customer Question

My daughter notices a sore near my cat's anus- on the left about 7 oclock
sent me a picture it looks like its fresh- might be anal sac??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: KC maybe 12 years old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: KC
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kc?
Customer: She's older still eating and active but has been losing weight - some GI and bowel issues for while but nothing new in that area that Ive noticed lately.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Can you upload the photo(s) to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok looking where to attach

Thank you. It's a bit blurry and I can't identify a fistula which would identify an anal gland abscess in that position. Please ask your daughter if she can see a tiny hole in that "sore" that might be draining anal gland fluid.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She said "yes"

Thank you. I would introduce a curved tip syringe filled with chlorhexidine into the duct of that anal gland and thoroughly flush it out. With another curved tip syringe filled with an otic antibiotic/antiyeast/antinflammatory drug (Panalog, Otomax, e.g.), I would then pack the gland. This procedure usually can be done on an unsedated cat and should be curative. Less commonly, I need to repeat the procedure in a week. A systemic antibiotic shouldn't be necessary once local therapy as described has been performed.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
a trip to our local vet would be necessary.

It would be prudent. These can remiss on their own in time but my patient remains painful until that occurs and recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) is common in untreated abscesses.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?