Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My cat is almost one year old, female. I let her, and her

Customer Question

my cat is almost one year old, female. I let her, and her brother, go outside for a couple of hours a day. She was just outside and came running in the house. She was running around the house in circles, with drool coming out of her mouth and licking her lips. I picked her up and took her to the sink where I washed off her mouth and tried to wash it out. I then put her in a carrier to try to calm her down. She seems a little agitated. She doesn't have any more spit coming out of her mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: Not that I can think of. She is a normal cat. She has always been a little on the thin side...not sure if that's relevant. She eats, drinks and sleeps well. This behavior is out of the ordinary.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your cat. It sounds as if she ate something noxious or really bad tasting...some plant or another, perhaps...which is responsible for her behavior.

Certain plants not only can cause drooling and/or vomiting but they can also cause altered behavior.

You did exactly what I would have suggested in this situation which was to rinse out her mouth. You'll want to examine her mouth and gums in a few hours and look for any redness or irritated areas which may develop.

Putting her in a carrier was wise move as well which, hopefully, will give her an opportunity to settle down.

I might advise over the counter Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day which may help with any residual drooling or nausea issues.

I wouldn't feed her for a few hours; just give everything a chance to settle down.

It's possible that she'll develop diarrhea in 12-24 hours; if that should happen, then I'd feed her boiled chicken for a few days which should resolve the problem.

More than likely, she'll be just fine in a few hours if not sooner but if she continues to remain agitated and/or other signs such as trembling/twitching develop, then a vet visit would be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Gracie. How is she doing? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb