Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My vet says my seven year old cat has an inflamed bowel.

Customer Question

My vet says my seven year old cat has an inflamed bowel. When she gets nauseated and vomiting, I have to take her in for a steroid shot. She does not have diarrhea. Her abdomen gets VERY distended, bloated .Right now she is HUGE...she has trouble with grooming. She has to lay flat, rather than curled, she is so large. She as gained weight lately. He said to try to get her to take milk of magnesium (which she won't take). He has never asked about, or suggested a change in diet. This is the first time I have tried to research it on the Internet....and found quite a number of conflicting ideas...and you. Only thing I have done on my own is to put her on a dry food for inside cats, including hairball control, thinking it might have some laxative effect.
I am retired...really can not afford a $100. fee, plus X-rays. plus another $ 20. for a steroid shot every four or five weeks. Please advise. Should I have her put to sleep, since it seems we are not able to help her? She is so miserable!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, I have to note that if Missy is miserable and her condition is not being managed as well as she needs, then we may need to consider letting her go to prevent her from suffering. Otherwise, you could consider speaking to her vet about dispensing oral steroids for home. These could be used a low dose to keep her stable or as needed when her signs start to flare up. That potentially would be less costly for you then having her in for the injection every few months.

Otherwise, you can try to counter her nausea with an OTC antacid. If she isn't keen for liquids like Milk of Magnesia, then you could try her with Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Alternatively, since her vet has been seeing her for this condition for a while, you could also discuss their dispensing a strong anti-nausea medication for home like Cerenia, Zofran, or Metoclopramide. And if these can keep her nausea down, we may be able to avoid those flare ups all together for her.

Finally, her bloating worries me. The way you have described it, this sounds intermittent. If it is, then it could be related to gas or feces accumulating in the gut. In that case, we could use GI lubricants (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax, etc) to move caught feces +/- activated charcoal to just bind any gas present. Though if this is a bloating that is present all of the time, we'd then have to worry about other issues (ie enlarged organs, fluid from heart/liver/protein issues, masses) and that would be something we'd want to consider an ultrasound for if we were to try to treat her for the longer term.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Wilma Bridenbaugh,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Missy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.